Sunday, June 22, 2008

Craving for Fried Okra



Today was a very hectic day even though it's Sunday (and we didn't even get to church - so bad).  D had a class until 4pm and a business meeting afterwards.  I needed to drop off our auntie and uncle from New Zealand at the pier for their cruise to Alaska (they'll be having 24 hour food service and king crab legs - I'm so jealous) and then run tons of errands.  

By the time I was done, I was starving.  All I've had the entire day was a bowl of cereal for breakfast, it was almost dinner time, and I had no food at home.  It was fast food or fight my way into and out of the market for fresh fruits and veggies.  I decided to go healthier and head to the market.  Of course I would choose the weekend to finally get groceries.  The place I go to is always packed, but weekends are insane.  I've actually seen two ladies fight over a bag of grapes!  

Anyway, to get to my point... I came across fresh okra.  I love okra, especially fried okra!  Not many Chinese have eaten okra, but having grown up in the South, I've always eaten fried okra.  (yummy, yummy)  These okras were so
 fresh and plump!  It brought back childhood memories of my parents taking us to Grandy's for fried chicken, hot rolls with honey and butter, and my favorite, fried okra.  I can eat a ton in one sitting.  I was definitely satisfied after my BIG plate of okra! 




I don't know what's the proper way to make fried okra, but this is a quick and easy way:
 
1. Cut the okra (about 1 pint) into rings 
2. Soaked them in milk (you are suppose to use buttermilk, but I improvised).  

The coating consisted of flour and a mixture of seasoning and spices.  You can use just about any kind you like but this is what I used today:

6 heaping tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

3. Dredge the milk soaked okra in the flour mixture, 
4. Carefully working in small batches fry in hot oil.  Each batch should be done in about 2-4 minutes.  
5. Remove from oil and put on paper towels to drain excess oil.  

If you like crispier okras, double fry them.  

Once done, they can be eaten as is or with a condiment of your choice like ranch dressing, chipolte dressing, or ketchup.   Enjoy!




No comments: