I made these last week for a friend's birthday, and they were the Bomb!!! Well, they are actually Lots of Sprinkles' Bailey's Bombshell. I've been eyeing Sharon's recipe ever since I discovered her blog a couple of months ago, so when Chris invited us to his birthday BBQ, I knew I would be making these cupcakes (I also made a batch of eclairs which turned out great!).
I made mine with Bailey's Hint of Mint Chocolate Irish Cream and topped each with mint swiss meringue buttercream. YUM! I even tried a new chocolate cake recipe which turned out to be a keeper. YEAH!
On the way to the BBQ, D kept telling me how good the cupcakes looked and smelled. He kept hinting, but I wouldn't allow him to have one until we got to Chris'. We had a wonderful time chatting and eating and eating and eating. I wish I had stopped to take a few pictures. (lol) There was so much food! For dessert (Chris also had tiramisu, a birthday cake, and fresh fruits) he served coffee with Bailey's which complimented the cupcakes so well. Everyone kept saying how decadent and good with a grunt they were. I guess great minds think alike.
Unfortunately, neither D nor I had any dessert since we were so stuffed from dinner. Boy, am I glad I licked all the bowls and spoons clean at home. Poor D will have to wait until next time to try one.
Bailey's Chocolate Mint Cupcakes
(for illustrations, check out Sharon's blog)
Chocolate Cupcakes (makes 24 - half recipe to make the 12 needed)
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup warm water
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake tins.
2. In a large bowl, sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. Add the all wet ingredients, and mix until combined (about 3 minutes).
4. Divide batter among cupcake tins filling about each cup half full.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, rotating halfway.
6. Cool on a wire rack before frosting.
12 chocolate cupcakes
1/4 cup Bailey's or your favorite Irish Cream
1/2 cup white chocolate
1. Cut out a hole in the middle of the cupcakes. Keep the carved bits in a bowl. (I cut my holes too large, so I shaved off the bottom part of cake and put the top back on).
2. Melt the white chocolate on a double boiler and cool slightly before adding half of the Bailey's. Stir thoroughly and add milk a little bit at a time until you get a thick creamy texture. If it gets too runny, refrigerate until it thickens.
3. Spoon cream into the cupcake holes (place tops back on if desire) and put aside.
4. To make the cake balls, add the remaining Bailey's into the cake crumbs. Stir. The mixture will be sticky. Roll the mixture into 12 balls. Refrigerate until firm and then roll in cocoa powder.
5. Frost the cupcakes with frosting of choice (I used swiss meringue buttercream flavored with mint extract. Sharon makes a caramel whipped cream to compliment her Bailey's with Caramel).
6. Top with a cake ball.
7. Serve and enjoy!