Friday, September 12, 2008

New England Clam Chowder



I made this last week when the weather seemed more like mid-autumn rather than late summer.  I served it with toasted slices of baguette and a green salad.  This soup is hearty, super tasty, and fast and easy to make.  It's the perfect way to warm up.  

I first saw this recipe on Food TV (one of my favorite channels, but I can only watch after I've eaten, otherwise I get really hungry) on Dave Lieberman's show.  D was with me and he said, "Make that, and I'll eat it."  So I did and have since on many occasions.  It's definitely the BEST clam chowder I've ever had, and everyone I've ever made it for has agreed.  My brother in law even exclaimed that it's the most clam filled chowder he's ever seen.  (lol)  So if you like clam chowder, you have to try this recipe. 




New England Clam Chowder as prepared by Dave Lieberman

2 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 medium onion, diced
2 celery stalk, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
2- 10 ounce cans clams in juice (I've bought one bigger can in lieu of 2 small cans once, butI find using 2 cans taste better, I think it's because of the amount of juice in the cans)
1 cup heavy cream 
2 bay leaves
1 pound potatos, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Salt and pepper to taste

1.  Heat butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.  Add the onions and celery, sauting until softened, stirring often.
2.  Stir in flour to distribute evenly.
3.  Add stock, juice from clams, cream, bay leaves, and potato.  Stir to combine.
4.  Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until potatos are done (about 15-20 minutes).
5.  Add clams and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Cook until the clams are firm (about 2 minutes).

Serve and enjoy!  :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmm...my favorite!